Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Playing with poetry
Jennifer deWinter's talk about poetry and gaming was very interesting. From listening to deWinter my understanding is that poetry is language based art and poetry is art. All forms of writing and creative is to an extent a form of art. Before coming to listen to deWinter speak, I had never heard of poetic video games. I've heard of poetry being made into music, but never into games. deWinter talked about how the experience of poetry moves people and that games can't be read as text. I agree that games cannot be read as text but when poetry is involved in the game, you are reading through it. I guess I can't really judge until I actually sit through and play a poetry game. All in all I really liked deWinter's talk. The two poetry games that she showed us seemed creepy and depressing so if I do sit down to play a game like that, I will definitely find something a little more upbeat.